Oppression works at both the institutional and individual level.
Ways oppression works:
1. Institutionalized or structural oppression works systemically to oppress some groups of people, whether through inequality in the law, access to economic or educational opportunity,
2. Interpersonal or individual oppression occurs between people. Oppression may be overt or covert.
3. Internalized oppression is the unconscious feeling like one doesn't belong. This helps to perpetuates a cycle of oppression.
Microaggression refers to :
1. a subtle but offensive comment or action directed at a minority or other non-dominant group that is often unintentional or unconsciously reinforces a stereotype: microaggressions such as "I don't see you as black."
2. the act of discriminating against a non-dominant group by means of such comments or actions: The diversity committee discussed the issue of microaggressions toward women on campus.
(definition of microaggression is from Dictionary.com)